Yoga ruins your life*

At the beginning of 2013 – spurred on by the knowledge that I was entering my 50th year, and confronting the intimate reality that we are all mortal, due to the passing of my Mum – I decided I needed to do something to improve my health & wellbeing, and to proactively go about the business of doing what I could to extend my time here on Earth.

So, I began my yoga practice.

I started to go to a local yoga class, 6.30 am, 3 times a week, and immediately fell in love with it.

Nearly ten months in, I’m still enthusiastic; the class is reduced from 3 to 2 days, but I want to be there as often as I can manage because I have felt the benefit. I’m calmer and more chilled than ever. I’m ever so slightly more flexible, and I feel this is something for the long haul.

Here’s a vid to inspire!

• Check out yogatone online
Follow my yoga teacher on twitter

*HT to Richard Freeman for the “Yoga ruins your life” vid, and blogpost title

6 Responses to “Yoga ruins your life*”

1. Nick L September 25, 2013 at 9:16 PM #

Hi John,

That’s great! My girlfriend and sisters all do yoga, maybe I should start.

I have been doing mental yoga for some years now. Peace of mind & calmness is now my default state.

2. Jonathan Blundell September 25, 2013 at 11:47 PM #

Props to you… you old guy :-)

3. William September 26, 2013 at 12:53 AM #

Good for you! I really need to get back to some kind of exercise. For a while I was doing an hour a day on the Wii fit step, but I got out of the habit before the summer and am finding it hard to get back to. I even combined it with reading and/or watching olde episodes of MASH or Seinfeld!

4. Johnny Laird September 26, 2013 at 11:16 AM #

Thanks, William. I’ve been getting back into my running as well, after a long lay off on that.

5. Johnny Laird September 26, 2013 at 11:17 AM #

When you get to my age, you need to work hard! :-)

6. Johnny Laird September 26, 2013 at 11:18 AM #

Good man.

Love a bit of mindfulness!

You should give the yoga a go; I’ve fallen in love with it