Go to 1:46 to hear Jon Snow ask “Do you think religion has been a force for good in the history of man?”
It felt like an easy set up shot, placed delicately to allow Hawking to hit his slam dunk on all of religion.
I would have loved to hear more – more vigorous questions…more of Hawkings views.
Here are a few questions, I would have liked to have heard him consider.
- What IS religion and why is it so enduring in the story of humanity?
- How would you distinguish between religion and people of faith – or do you consider them one and the same?
- Some would say that it is part of the human condition to communally express worship – whether it be God, ideologies, athletes, gifted musicians etc. Do you recognize that compulsion, and how do you explain it?
- What is it that motivates and mobilizes people of faith to do good in the name of that faith – particularly in the areas of social justice, peacemaking, and reconciliation?
- Who do you think Jesus was, and do you have a view of what some understand to be his teaching*?
*If you don’t know any of Jesus’ teaching, dear reader…check this out
What would you have asked Stephen Hawking?
Check out the new “Hawking” documentary trailer